Superman. Iron Man. Wonder Woman. Black Panther. Batman. These are but a few super heroes that come to mind. Sadly, only a few of these super heroes are women, but I have a feeling that is going to change in the not too distant future.
Stan Lee, rest his soul, had quite an imagination. He could effortlessly dream up all sorts of super hero traits that were extraordinary: x-ray vision, incredible strength, the ability to hurl fireballs or webs, flying through the air, and even the ability to turn people into ice. Oh if only I could just have one of those skills!
However, these superheroes also possessed traits that are totally plausible for any of us.
- Strong Moral Codes They’re Willing to Fight For
- Tolerant to Pain.
- A Great Sense of Responsibility.
- Fighting Spirit.
- Mental Stability.
Ah, these are skills in which we can acquire with some practice. We only need look to others for inspiration. Here’s a few of the ones in my life:
- My grandmother Amanda: as an orphan sent to live with Miss Alice Lloyd on a college campus, she grew up and raised an amazing family, worked three jobs and had a brilliant wit. She taught her children and grandchildren to be confident and rise above any obstacle they may face.
- My mentor, Carolyn: she battled ovarian cancer for over 10 years and embraced every chemo appointment and challenge with grace and thanksgiving. She instilled in me at a young age that God is always good.
- Two of my best friends (yes, we women can have more than one):: I’ve learned from them what real strength looks like. Whether being a selfless caretaker or ignoring naysayers and chasing a huge dream, they are women worthy of a velvet cape.
- My two daughters: They are selfless yet fierce. They know the real beauty is on the inside. Their need to blast posts on social media in order to get likes and dislikes is practically non-existent. Quite simply, they've got their act together. I want to be like them when I grow up.
What about you? Who would make the list in your life?
They may not make it onto the big screen like the Hulk or Iron Man, but to you, they’re life savers. There’s no better time than now to say “thank you” to those people. I’ll be the first to admit that sometimes I tend to convince myself I can do everything on my own. Perhaps it's genetic or perhaps it's insecurity brought on by a few choice individuals. Who knows. But I'm slowly learning it's not healthy and it's not smart. After moving to New Mexico and meeting even more brave and compassionate women, I'm finding it's okay to admit you can't always be the tough girl. It's okay to ask for help.
Ah, but also take note: it's ALSO okay to call someone out for not being fair. It's okay to stand up for yourself and what you deserve. It's okay if you don't fit in someone else's mold and have decided to create your own. The bottom line is this: it's okay to be your own superhero as well.
As one of my best friends reminded me recently, "Angie, I'm finding that there are basically three kinds of women: those who help us in difficult times, those who grew silent in difficult times and those who put us in difficult times. Learn." Are you nodding in agreement to that as well? Even Mr. Rogers reminds us that in times of fear and crisis, to always look for the helpers. I've blessed with some of the best. I'm sure you have as well, sweet friend. Remember that accepting love and assistance doesn’t diminish our toughness or resiliency. It does allow for us to have some breathing room when life gets tough.
I’m super thankful for their reminders.
Quite simply, they’ve shown me what grace looks like in the flesh. These might not be super hero traits according to Stan Lee, but they’re life skills in which I’ll cling to forever.
Whether you’re donning your own cape or awarding one to a friend, do it with gratitude. And then, my friend, put your hands on your hips, chin in the air and whisper confidently, “I can do this!”
You can, you know. It was there all along. Here’s to bravely helping one another find it.
PS. I've created a Power Pendant, Power Cuff and even Fierce Earrings to celebrate the heroes in our lives. Check it out here, and remember, if you're a blog subscriber, just enter the discount code LOYAL. Have a wonderful week! !